Saturday, August 21, 2010

Look, an airplane!

I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to my job. I can accept that. I get my thrills when I get a lot of traffic in a short amount of time. I like when my adrenaline starts revving up. I may even be an adrenaline junkie. I think controlling air traffic is fun and I enjoy doing it.

There are some people I work with who are anti-nerds; people who think it is stupid to get thrills out of anything to do with our job; people who put down people like me who actually enjoy it. They're just there to collect a paycheck and honestly, I think it's kind of lame. :P

A typical nerd conversation at work goes like this:

A: Have you worked Venus* lately?
B: No, not in a while. You?
A: Yea, it was here a few days ago and stayed for about an hour.
B: Cool! Was it the 7-5?
A: No, it was the 7-4.
B: Sweet. The last time I worked one it was just a Gulfstream. *said with a bummed look on his face*


*Venus is the call sign for all of the Presidential aircraft based out of the 89th Airlift Wing at Andrews AFB, Maryland. They come down several times a week and do practice approaches and touch-and-gos. :)

Welcome to my world of nerd-dom.

1 comment:

  1. I think your job is way cool!! *kinda jealous over here* :P

    ReplyDelete